Welcome to my Blog for INST 605

This blog was created for Computers in Education (INST 605)

Friday, February 18, 2011

StudyBoost

After reading about the pros and cons of iPads utilization in schools, I started thinking about technology that many students already had available --- the cell phone.  

I came across StudyBoost (https://www.studyboost.com/).  It is a free service.  Once an account is created, a student can create his/her own batch of questions or use an existing batch of questions.  Most subject areas are covered.  The student chooses to receive messages via GoogleTalk, Facebook, Yahoo Messenger, text messaging or Jabber.  Then based upon the settings set by the student, questions are sent to the student to answer.  I signed up to see what it was like.  Within a few minutes, I received my first question "What is the capital of Alabama?".

Granted, I know not all students have a cell phone or unlimited text messaging.  However, it could be a tool that may interest some students and encourage learning when they have a few minutes to spare.

1 comment:

  1. The StudyBoost website is really nice. I signed up to see what it was all about and I was impressed. I showed it to my son and sent his teacher an email with the link so she could check it out too.

    ReplyDelete