Welcome to my Blog for INST 605

This blog was created for Computers in Education (INST 605)

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Open Source Goes To High School

The Open High School of Utah is a public charter school that is an on-line high school.  Its mission statement is as follows:

The Open High School of Utah is putting the focus where it should be – on the student. Our mission is to facilitate lifelong success by meeting the needs of the 21st century learner through individualized, student-centered instruction, innovative technology, service learning, and personal responsibility. (taken from the school's website: http://www.openhighschool.org/general-information/about-us/)

I see on-line Open Source learning as more of an additional teaching strategy than a replacement to traditional education.  I do think it has its place for students who travel or have demands outside of school that would require home-based learning or a tutor.   

Where I can see the advantages of on-line coursework, as I am taking two on-line classes now, I definitely see the limitations as well.  I think the student that decides to pursue on-line work has to understand his/her learning style and if on-line is appropriate for that style.   Self-knowledge of a student’s own learning style is not a skill all high school students possess.  One of the teachers stated in the video, some students are smart and will understand quickly, and those that need extra help will get individualized attention.  When I think back to my experience as a Biology teacher covering a difficult concept, like genetics, I explained things multiple times and in multiple ways.  Sometimes it was just a look from a student that signaled to me "Hey, I am not getting this."  I would worry that subtle gestures would be lost in on-line learning, especially at an age where frustration can lead to giving up.  Additionally, we did a wide variety of labs.  I know that there are virtual labs, even Open Source, available, but does it really compare to touching, smelling, seeing, hearing and even occasionally tasting.  It is hard for me to think it does.  I understand the business world wants employees that can meet the technology demands of the 21st century, but at what cost. 

3 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be great it the best things about the open source, on line school were equally available
    to traditional schools? Multimedia, differentiated instruction, and technology are important for all students.

    I agree that it would be easy to loose students with this kind of setting. I also think that it would be harder to make a personal connection with kids. I don't think I'd want to teach this way with elementary students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made a great point about not being able to read the non verbal communication would be missing from the open source model. The classroom method allows the teacher to clarify any questions by understanding the students non verbal communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, knowing your learning style and what learning enviornment works best for you is crucial to the success of any student. I just wish the traditional model were equipped to meet the needs of all learning styles. As disappointing as it may be, the reality is educators just don't have that luxury to tailor the learning to each persons learning style in the public school system.

    I echo Nicole's thoughts about incorporating more technology in the classroom. Our students have to be exposed to innovative technology in order to survive in the workforce of the future.

    ReplyDelete